Monday, January 25, 2010

Testing, testing...


Several years ago, when we were both new to the boutique sewing world (on eBay, back in those days...) I "met" Patty Young of modkid fame when we were both members of Adagio Bleu Studios. It has been amazing to watch her career take off since then- if you haven't seen her fabric lines or patterns, you are really missing out. They are amazing!

I was lucky enough to be chosen as a tester for her newest line of patterns, and just before Christmas I received a box full of fabric from her latest collection, Flora & Fauna, along with the rough draft pattern for the dolly-sized modkid dress bag! Her pattern books are so beautiful and easy to use- full of colorful pictures, helpful tips, and easy-to-follow steps. While this was a more complicated project (it involves zippers, grommets, and gussets, oh my!) the conversational tone of her clear instructions helped me create a gorgeous garment bag. Wanna see it? It's the turquoise hummingbird one on the inspiration gallery page.



What about you? Want to try it?

Like I said, this is not a pattern for beginners, but if you are an experienced seamstress you should give it a try. I am going to give away one copy of the modkid dress bags pattern which includes instructions for both the dolly size bag I made and the larger girly bag (shhh... I'm not a girly girl but I may have to make one of these for myself!) If you'd like to win a copy of this pattern, just leave me a comment telling me where you would like to travel with this garment bag. If you'd like to promote this giveaway on your social media of choice (twitter, facebook, etc.), feel free to do so! I'll be randomly choosing a winner on the night of my son's 10th birthday (this Thursday, January 28).

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol, I'll go anywhere & everywhere... Two girls and neither of them want to carry their own bags, I gotta have something flirty, fun and pretty to show off! I'm hoping to go to Hollywood next month, although I'm gonna try to leave the little ones behind, but I'll still take my Patty Young inspired garmet bag!

crystal_crtr2 said...

Happy Birthday to you guy!! Double Digits How exciting!!

I must make this for my daughter!! When we go to Disney World we always bring all kinds of cute clothes that I hate to just throw in a suitcase, so this would be perfect. So the answer to the Question is I would bring this with me to Disney World in Florida!!

Ellie Roberts said...

Would love to take my girls with these bags to the American Girl store in L.A.! So cute!!

Jennifer Bailey said...

My dream vacation would be Australia. But, hopefully we will take a Disney cruise soon with the whole family. My daughter just got an American girl doll for her birthday and I am starting to make them matching clothes so this is perfect.

AdronsCatherine said...

Happy birthday to your son! I'm a January baby, too ;o)

I would LOVE to take these to Greece, if I'm dreaming, but in reality, I would love to take them to Chicago, which is a reasonable drive for me!

acrummylife said...

Well I guess I would love to travel to Greece with it but most likely with four girls who dance I will be travelling to a dance recital or competition. LOVE it!!

kim

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I would love to make one for me and take it to NYC to see my daughter. And I would love to make one for storing a special dress she has. Thanks for the giveaway!

Unknown said...

i love this pattern i've been wanting to buy it for long time but hesitating .. i would make it for my and my little girl .. i dont think we're going anywhere with it .. may be keep to store our very special garments .. lovely ..

Karen said...

I found you via Patty's site - I love her stuff!
I'd use it to pack my three daughters' fairy dresses when we travel to the north of Australia for our beach holiday later this year.
This is essential packing as far as my girls are concerned!

caitlin said...

hi carol, id love to take this bag with my little girl to san diego to visit some friends! i would also love to make it to hold her flower girl dress she'll be wearing in a few months! :)

Mschviuz2 said...

I want to go EVERYWHERE with this! I love this pattern! I have two girls too who would look so cute carrying these bags.

Donna said...

I would so take this everywhere I went. I saw this pattern last week and really want to sew a pretty one. Thanks for being so generous.

Theresa N. said...

What a cute pattern! This would be so cute to make for my 5 yr old daughter who has a very good imagination. She's always packing her bags and goes throughout the house and pretends it's different vacation spots. What a dreamer she is and hopefully one day we will be able to take her on a real vacation to...Hawaii would be nice, but for now her ultimate favorite place is just to a sushi restaurant!!(believe me, she would carry this there too)